Make your own root beer at home with this root beer plant blend, carefully prepared by “La Bottine aux herbes”, a Montreal-based (Canada) herbalist!
Sassafras root beverages originated from the Indigenous peoples of the Americas who appreciated them for their culinary and medicinal properties. Sassafras root is sometimes known as the “root beer root plant”.
Europeans started using it in the 16th century and combined it with soda to create the fizzy drink we know today.
As its name suggests, root beer ingredients combine several plant roots.
Root Beer Ingredients
- Sarsaparilla root (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Orange peel (Citrus sinensis L.)
- Sassafras root bark (Sassafras albidum)
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale)
- Burdock root (Arctium lappa)
- Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Cinnamon stick (Cinnamomum burmannii)
- Star anise (Illicium verum)
How to Use
This combination of plants can be used as a decoction to flavour your fermentations.
As root beer contains several medicinal plants, and not just one root beer plant per se, we recommend consuming it in moderation. If you have any questions, we advise you to consult a professional.
- Format: coarsely ground dried plants
- Weight: 80g
- Storage: 1 year in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight. We recommend putting it in an airtight container in the fridge, or the freezer for longer conservation.