Viili (Scandinavian Yogurt) Starter Culture
Introducing viili, a traditional Scandinavian yogurt that is mild in taste with a velvety texture. Make your own with this viili yogurt starter culture!
This versatile yogurt can be enjoyed plain, with syrup, with fruits or any other delicious ingredients. Its amusing texture will charm you!
Viili, being part of a family of yogurts called mesophilic yogurts, ferments at room temperature. They are very easy to make - you won't even need a yogurt maker!
Simply add the viili starter culture to milk in a clean container, mix and let it rest at room temperature for 24 hours. As simple as that! (See the full mesophilic yogurt recipe)
Do not forget to keep a little bit of viili yogurt aside in a cool place to use to start your next batch. The culture reproduces very easily for an economical and durable option!
What is Viili?
Viili is a kind of mesophilic yogurt native to Scandinavia. It has a gelatinous consistency and a pleasantly mild taste resulting from lactic acid.
This dairy product is fermented under the microbial action of lactic bacteria and yeast-like mold (Geotrichum candidum) which forms a velvety surface on the viili.
The following lactic acid bacteria have been identified in viili:
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. Cremoris (produces viilian, similar to the kefiran produced by milk kefir grains)
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar lactis. diacetylactis
- Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. Cremoris
- Ingredients: powdered cow's milk, dehydrated live active cultures
- Contains 3 capsules to be used whole (each can ferment up to 2 litres of milk)
- Shelf life: 18 months in a cool and dry place in its original packaging
To rehydrate, see how to activate a dehydrated viili starter.