Fermaid K is a nutrient complex for yeast. It is recommended for a fast and healthy fermentation of mead, cider, wine, and other alcoholic fermentations.
The yeast nutrient is added during the alcoholic fermentation. It ensures that the nutrients the yeast needs are available during fermentation.
In most cases, it is recommended to use yeast nutrients for alcoholic fermentations of beverages such as hard cider, mead, and wine, as the wort generally lacks vital nutrients for the yeast. Furthermore, there is no way for a home brewer to know how much nitrogen and other micronutrients are present in the wort.
Fermaid K is a yeast nutrient complex that provides:
- Ammonium salts (DAP)
- Free amino acids (organic nitrogen derived from inactivated yeast)
- Unsaturated fatty acids
- Key nutrients (magnesium sulphate, thiamine, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate)
- Inactive yeast
How to Add Fermaid K
- Measure 1/4 teaspoon (1g) of Fermaid K per gallon (3.8L) of wort.
- Mix Fermaid K with 1/4 cup (60ml) of chlorine-free water.
- Add to wort when first bubbles appear.
- For yeast with high nutrient requirements: add half the amount at the beginning of the fermentation, and again when a third of the sugar is consumed (use a hydrometer).
Fermaid K Specifications
- Quantity: 50g
- Dosage: 1/4 tsp per gal (1g / 3.8L)
- Ingredients: dry yeast, magnesium sulphate, diammonium phosphate, thiamine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, niacin
- Store in a cool and dry place, away from sunlight
- Producer: Lallemand, Canada